When we talk about exercise, a lot of people think of weight loss. Even when some recent reports state that exercise is not really necessary for weight loss, we still know that it sure does aid in weight loss.
One thing we can at least agree on is the fact that weight loss occurs when you expend more energy/calories than you consume, and we know that physical activity sure do help you burn more calories.
Exercise does not only help with weight loss, but has several other health benefits. So here are some of the reasons why exercise is beneficial to your health.
11 Reasons Why You Should Exercise
1. Reduces the Risks of Heart Disease and Stroke – Research shows that, 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise such as brisk walking can help reduce your risks of cardiovascular disease and stroke by 40%. Don’t have 30 minutes to spare a day? Not to worry, you can cut the time in half (15 minutes a day) by doing high intensity exercise such as running.
2. Strong Bones – Weight bearing exercises such as jogging, hiking, stair climbing and dancing have been found to help make the bones stronger.
3. Boosts Immune System – Exercise helps to boost your immune system, helping to prevent infections such as colds and flu.
4. Better Sleep – Exercise especially aerobics helps to make you sleep better. So if you have sleep problems, then it is time you tried exercise. However, experts suggest you finish exercising no less than 2 hours before your bed time. This is because physical activities close to your bed time will only produce the opposite result (stimulation and alertness).
5. Lowers the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes – Research also shows that you can help reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by being physically active.
6. Protection Against Dementia – Exercise promotes blood flow in the brain, boosts the growth of new brain cells and stimulates the production of chemicals that keep the brain healthy. Thus helping to keep dementia/Alzheimer’s at bay.
7. May Help Prevent Certain Types of Cancers – Physical activity may help to reduce your risk of certain types of cancers (breast, endometrial, colon, lung and gastrointestinal cancer) as well as improve long term prognosis of and quality of life of those that already have cancer.
8. Improves Mood and Mental Health – Exercise enhances mental concentration and alertness. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, the “feel good” chemical in the brain, which helps to improve your mood and reduce anxiety. Even if you are not suffering from depression, you can still benefit from this, so whenever you are feeling down or a little blue, try exercise!
9. Reduces Stress – Exercise increases the release of norepinephrine, the chemical that regulates how your brain responds to stress.
10. May Help with Addiction – It boosts the release of dopamine, the “reward chemical” that gives you satisfaction similar to what you will get from food, drug or alcohol.
11. Can Aid in Weight Loss – Yes, we are saying it again! Exercise can help you shed those excess pounds, thereby helping to prevent obesity and other related diseases.
You can see that there are so many benefits of exercise, so even if you don’t want to lose weight, do it to be FIT and for your OVERALL well-being.
Leave a Reply