Is caffeine an appetite suppressant? If yes, is it safe?
These are the questions we are going to look into in this article. There has been an ongoing discourse about the pros and cons of caffeine, but it actually depends on the quantity you consume and how often you ingest it.
What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is a natural source, coming from plants such as coffee beans, tea leaves, cacao pods and cola nuts. It is widely available in many consumer products like coffee, chocolates and pain-relief medication.
Of course it is also a chemical so has several reactions in the human body and many of those are beneficial.
Caffeine is a well-known metabolism booster, energy/concentration improver AND effective appetite suppressant.
Caffeine is a stimulant that has been known for a very long time and has produced many studies proving it’s efficacy as a dietary supplement for people who wish to burn body fat.
To fully understand if caffeine is a supplement suited to your needs, let’s have a look at the main benefits.
- Japanese researchers proved that caffeine can increase cognitive abilities and memory. There was also a recent study at the John Hopkin’s University showing that a 200mg of caffeine could boost short term memory. Cognitive abilities can be great for when playing sports, making you a better team player AND burn more fat at the same time.
- When mixed with carbohydrates, caffeine can increase restoration of glycogen levels and improve recovery and energy levels. With improved energy levels and glycogen restoration you will get more out of your food and leave less chance for your body storing carbs as fat cells.
- Caffeine can detoxify your liver and cleanse your colon when taken as a liquid enema.
- Caffeine may help in reducing the risk of kidney stones. In a study of over 217,883 people, those who consumed caffeine had less problems with kidney stones. The research team think this is due to caffeine being a diuretic, making urine more dilute.
[Also Read: 9 Appetite Suppressing Foods That Can Crush Your Hunger]
But How Does Caffeine Suppress Appetite?
Caffeine contains phytochemicals otherwise known as chlorogenic acids. These acids have antioxidant like properties similar to those found in fruits like pears and apples.
Caffeine can have an effect on appetite suppressing along with other interacting hormones.
Caffeine has thermogenic properties that improve the metabolization of fat which will also suppress your hunger
One must always be aware that caffeine is not something you should rely on to lose weight but something that can help you manage your weight loss effectively and efficiently.
Many people think of caffeine as a quick energy fix and regularly get this from coffee and energy drinks.
The problem with this is you drink several cups of coffee or cans of energy drinks a day, not minding the quantity of caffeine in them.
This is very dangerous and can lead to overdose especially with regards to energy drinks, which contain large amounts of caffeine as well as other stimulants.
Precautions and Potential Risks
- Make sure that you know exactly the quantity of caffeine you are ingesting at any time.
- Be careful not to overdose on caffeine, ample amounts are healthy but too much can give you health risks such as increased heart rate, anxiety, vertigo and nausea. Every person is different and will not have the same tolerance levels so you must start with small doses to see how you handle it.
- People who are classed as high risk should avoid caffeine such as pregnant women, people with heart problems or similar medical conditions.
- Caffeine is a stimulant and very addictive, you must monitor your doses to stop you becoming dependent on caffeine.
- Avoid taking it at night (in fact you shouldn’t take caffeine 4-6 hours prior to going to bed) as its stimulant properties could cause sleeplessness (insomnia).
Now you have it – caffeine is indeed an appetite suppressant, however, it also has some possible side effects especially if you are sensitive to it.
So if you choose to use caffeine to curb your appetite or as a weight loss aid, ensure that you do so sensibly – choose an effective diet pill that contains safe and effective dose of caffeine.
Leave a Reply