A Detailed Guide on Weight Loss for Women Who are Looking for EFFECTIVE and SAFE Ways to Lose Weight!
When we talk about weight loss for women, the primary body areas that come to mind are the thighs, posteriors and hips.
Those are the toughest for us to get the fat off from! Medically speaking, these are also the areas where women’s bodies get the maximum fat cell concentration.
Well, the fat accumulation is relatively higher in these body parts because it’s the nature’s way of preparing a woman’s body for pregnancy. Hence, burning any fats from these areas is also the toughest compared to the other body parts like the arms, belly and chest.
What we intend to achieve through this guide is to provide YOU with actionable information such as the right combination of diet and women-specific exercises, as well as some effective weight loss aids you can use to lose weight from your entire body, including these difficult areas, without experiencing any harmful side effects.
The aim of this article is to provide information on the right combination of diet and women specific exercises and other weight loss aids that can help you lose weight without negative side effects.
This guide is for women who are looking to lose weight for their wedding or are struggling to shed baby weight after childbirth. It is also for menopausal women and those in their 40s, 50s and above who are looking for a healthy way to lose weight.
If you don’t want to read the whole guide, you can jump to the section that concerns you by clicking on the appropriate link in the table of content below. However, I strongly believe that you can learn a lot by reading through the entire guide.
What's on this Page
- A Detailed Guide on Weight Loss for Women Who are Looking for EFFECTIVE and SAFE Ways to Lose Weight!
- Probable Causes of Fat Accumulation in Women
- Weight Loss for Women – What You Should Focus on!
- Wedding Weight Loss for the Bride
- Post Postpartum Weight Loss Plan
- Probable Causes of Post Natal Weight Gain
- Weight Gain after Cesarean Delivery
- Analytical Results
- Diet and Workout Plan
- Recommended Post Natal Pelvic Floor Exercises
- Recommended Aqua Aerobics
- Recommended Yoga Exercises
- Diet after Month 6
- Specific Diet for Cesarean Cases
- Specific Exercises for Cesarean Cases
- How to Lose Weight after 40
- Probable Causes of Weight Gain after 40
- Probable Weight Loss Methods after 40
- Weight Loss by Reducing Muscle Tissue Loss
- Weight Loss through Estrogen Balancing
- Weight Loss through Progesterone Balance
- Weight Loss during Menopause
- Weight Loss after Hypothyroid Disorder
- Weight Loss for Women with Diabetes (Types 1 & 2)
- How to Lose Weight after 50 and 60
- Losing Weight after Gallbladder Removal
- Best Weight Loss Supplements for Women Comparison Table
Probable Causes of Fat Accumulation in Women
In women, the structure of the fat storing adipose tissue varies from the top to the bottom of the body. By following the lipid pathway, health nutrition experts have reportedly found out that the upper parts of a woman’s body serve as the short-term fat storage locations, while the lower parts attract extra fat deposits.
Some of the commonly known reasons behind fat accumulation in women are:
Targeted distribution of fat – The distribution of the gluteal adipocytes tissues in a woman’s body happens in a way that it protects her from metabolic disorders and pregnancy-related stress. As a result, your hips, thighs and posteriors become long-term fat storage areas and bloat up more compared to your other body parts.
Estrogen production – The production of estrogen in a woman’s body is also responsible for increase in fat accumulation and decrease in muscle mass during her teens, adulthood and middle age. Puberty, menstrual cycles and pregnancy are the times when women experience a surge in their bodies’ estrogen levels. In fact, a woman’s body is believed to have a natural tendency of transforming calories into fats, which in turn boosts-up the estrogen levels. So it becomes a sort of vicious cycle you see!
Metabolic rate – Women experience a drop in their basal metabolic rate starting in their 30s. This often results in additional fat deposits as the natural fat burners in their bodies get reduced. The fat accumulation in this case happens all the more during their menstrual cycles, pre-pregnancy stages, pregnancy and in postnatal times. The fat deposits resulting from such low metabolic rate can be extremely high during the menopause, sometimes leading to beyond-control obesity.
Hormonal imbalance – Women’s bodies produce a certain hormone known as leptin, the volume of which is directly proportional to the extent of fat deposits or adipose tissues they get.
This hormone is secreted from the subcutaneous part of a woman’s body and is primarily responsible for the higher concentration of fat in these areas.
Estrogen is one of the reasons behind the increased production of leptin in a woman’s body. It’s actually a cyclic action that may keep pushing up the leptin and fat levels.
Just like leptin, there are other hormones, for instance insulin, and some growth hormones, whose imbalance can cause a spike in fat deposition in the lower parts of a woman’s body.
Insulin imbalance – Insulin imbalance significantly impacts fat deposition in a woman’s body. You may experience fluctuations in your body’s insulin levels during menstrual cycles, pregnancy, menopause and postnatal time period.
Furthermore, insulin resistance especially during the menstrual cycles can kick-start the fat deposition process in your body.
Irregular menstrual cycles – Irregular menstruation can cause significant weight gain in women. Side effects of medicines, pelvic organ problems, hormonal imbalances and other biological reasons may worsen the problem.
As also mentioned earlier, it can become a vicious cycle for you, which will get repeated during every menstrual cycle, causing gradual fat deposition over the months/years.
It’s very difficult to get rid of this fat as your body may get conditioned to it by the time you notice.
Pelvic organ disorders – Women suffering from Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), hormonal imbalances and stone formation are vulnerable to a disorder known as over-reactive bladder, which weakens their detrusor muscle.
However, sometimes this disorder is caused due to unknown reasons (or is idiopathic in nature).
If that’s the case, the symptoms of obesity may increase gradually with time, so much so that the fat accumulation may even go out of your control, and become irreversible.
Weight Loss for Women – What You Should Focus on!
According to health and nutrition experts, you can’t possibly burn fats by dieting alone, or by spending endless, grueling-yet-unproductive hours in a gymnasium.
The key lies in replacing the fat-inducing foods you eat with the calorie-burning food items.
And performing some highly-specific physical exercises targeted solely at helping you reduce the fat deposits in your body.
Let’s go over some of the changes you can make in this regard, specific to each fat-vulnerable part of your body.
Hip Fat Burning
- Hip fat burning foods – You should eat low-calorie foods which are helpful in releasing the fat content inside the cells into your bloodstream. The released fats get broken down into carbon, water and fatty acids. The carbon and water normally get eliminated via lungs and kidneys, while the fatty acids are absorbed by the muscles and connecting tissues.
- Hip muscle building workout – According to fitness experts, it’s important for you to burn off the released fatty acids to avoid the chances of them regrouping and forming saturated fats. Hence, it’d be best for you to do hip raises, lunges and squats to transform those fatty acids into energy, which will be absorbed by the muscles in your hip area. The fat loss from these hip muscles would result in them getting toned, causing an increase in the lean muscle mass and the flexibility of the connecting tissues.
Thigh Fat Burning
- Thigh fat burning foods – Food items like tomatoes, chillies, flax seeds, pepper, brown rice, fish and olive oil are known to be helpful in burning thigh fat. Apart from this, regular consumption of pomegranate juice may also catalyze the fat burning process in the thigh area. Increasing your water consumption is yet another simple method of burning thigh fats quickly.
- Thigh fat burning workout – Standing thigh raises, standing thigh stretches, knee bending and walking may help in shaping up of your thigh muscles and burning fat deposits in that area. Performing pile squats with some chair or table for support can be very helpful in toning up of the inner parts of your thighs.
Posterior Fat Burning
- Posterior fat burning foods – Gluteal fat has the highest concentration in the posterior areas of women. Almonds, cinnamon, raspberries, goji berries, grapefruit and cumin are some of the recommended foods for burning off these fat deposits.
- Posterior shaping exercises – Reverse wood-chop, cross-body mountain-climbing, Romanian dead lift, side-plank, hip raises and leg raises are some of the exercises that can help you burn off fat from your posterior region and shape it well.
Burning other Fat Deposits
Once you start targeting these key fat deposit zones, burning fat from arms, belly, chest and other body parts will become relatively easier.
Following are the foods you should eat and the exercises you should do to eliminate fat deposits from these other body parts.
- Chest fat – Consumption of flax seeds, green tea, garlic and ginger can help you reduce the saturated fats from your chest area. Fat deposits in your chest region can be burnt effectively by swimming and doing aerobic exercises on a regular basis.
- Belly fat – One of the best ways of melting away belly fat is by staying away from food items that cause acid reflux in your body, for instance, saturated fats and alcohol. Aloe Vera comes highly recommended by many weight loss experts for getting rid of belly fat. The exercises that can help you get rid of belly fat include vertical, reverse and twist crunches, hip raise and rolling plank.
If you’re looking for sustained weight loss, you cannot undermine the importance of consistency in your workout routine and diet plan.
Although the process may seem time-consuming, it is far more sustainable and devoid of any harmful side effects.
Not only do you stand to achieve a lean and fit body if you follow this advice, you may also enjoy optimum levels of bone strength, muscle mass and skin tightness in the process.
Wedding Weight Loss for the Bride
Every woman wishes to look beautiful and great on her wedding day! I am a woman so I know!! Thus, any method that can help get rid of the excess body fat in the months leading up to the wedding is always a welcome idea.
However, losing weight through unwanted means such as consumption of unreliable and harmful diet pills or crash dieting is highly discouraged.
Not only can these methods lead to harmful side effects, but completely spoil YOUR wedding day look too! And who’d want that?!
Instead, you should focus on healthy weight loss methods that are normally long-lasting.
Healthy weight loss can help lower your risk of health problems such as high cholesterol and high blood glucose levels. It may also help improve your cardiovascular health, hormonal balance and basal metabolic rate in the process.
Please note, when it comes to wedding weight loss you should never approach it as an overnight transformation.
It all starts with healthy eating, healthy drinking and regular exercise. Ideally, you should set a pattern which you can follow even after the wedding is over.
Let’s understand how you should go about it exactly:
Cut Back on the Booze
Yes, the good news and the excitement definitely deserve a toast, but you shouldn’t make it a daily affair!
A single drink can set you back by 150 calories or more. Yes, that’s just one drink! Even if you’re a casual drinker and have no more than a few drinks per week, reducing your alcohol intake can quickly save you a good number of calories overall.
So, save those cocktails only for the very special occasions and have a sip of water instead!
Drink Ample Amounts of Water
Dump that diet soda and start drinking more and more water. Not only is it good for you in general, regular intake of water also helps your body get rid of harmful toxins. And having a sip every now and then can keep those hunger pangs in check.
So grab a bottle you can easily carry around with you and make sure that you get your daily fill without fail.
Although the amount of water required by your body each day is something dependent on your weight, you must aim for at least 8 glasses per day as a round figure.
If you’re really keen on learning the exact quantity, just divide your body weight (in pounds) by 2, and that’s the amount (in terms of ounces) you must drink each day.
Although this goes without saying, many brides-to-be take this very lightly. They think that just by consuming lesser number of calories and keeping their other daily habits in check they’d be able to lose weight before their wedding day.
It is easier said than done! You’re not going to see any major results until you get moving! Just 20 minutes of a hard workout session each day can do wonders to your body as well as your confidence!
If you’re really serious, try getting at least 30 to 45 minutes of aerobic exercises such as swimming, cycling or running, at least 3 to 4 days per week.
Cut down Your Servings and Space out Your Meals
Huge food servings are one of the biggest reasons we gain weight over a period of time. Start your meals with small portions and have more only if you’re still hungry.
Experts suggest that rather than having 2 or 3 big meals in a day, you should have 5 to 7 small meals with time gaps of 2 to 3 hours between them.
Make Fruits and Vegetables Your Friends!
If you make fruits and vegetables an integral part of your everyday meals, you’ll leave less room for the fattening stuff.
One of the ways to keep your snacks interesting is by finding out some good produce store where you can buy much more than just celery and carrot sticks.
Carry some fruit with you to work and when you’re running errands. It’ll keep the temptations away!
Seek the Help of some Reliable Weight Loss Supplement
You could seek the help of a tried-and-tested weight loss supplement that complements your efforts.
But ensure that you do ample research before picking any such product, as the side effects are sometimes too difficult to undo.
PhenQ is the diet pill we highly recommend for brides-to-be who are looking to lose weight their wedding day.
It’s a weight loss supplement that has been proven to stimulate a fast-track fat burning process inside YOUR body.
Regular use of this diet supplement, along with the tips provided above can deliver just the kind of results you may be looking for at such crucial juncture of your life!
PhenQ can be helpful in burning fat deposits in three key areas of a woman’s body, which are, thighs, posterior and hips. And it does it pretty fast.
This is because PhenQ attacks weight loss from multiple angles:
- Burns fat
- Curbs your appetite and cravings
- Increases your energy
- Boosts your mood to help reduce emotional eating
The ingredients that make PhenQ a great success are: Nopal, Capsimax, Caffeine, Calcium Carbonate, Chromium Picolinate and L-Carnitine Furmarate.
These are proven weight loss ingredients that work together in synergy to help you lose weight effectively and SAFELY!
Post Postpartum Weight Loss Plan
Before delving into post natal weight loss procedures, it may be helpful to look at some of the possible causes of post natal weight gain.
It is a well known fact that pregnancy adds extra weight to a woman’s body due to natural reasons.
Some women are able to lose the extra weight quickly after childbirth, while it takes some a few months to do so. Unfortunately some women can’t seem to be able to get rid of the baby fat and a times may even add more weight after childbirth.
In case you are one of such women, you may need to figure out why1
Once you have found out the reasons, you may be able to take the necessary actions to combat the problems and work hard to effectively reduce the unwanted fat accumulation in your body. Yes, there is hope for YOU!
Probable Causes of Post Natal Weight Gain
- According to medical experts, any weight retention or continued weight gain after childbirth may be linked to obesity in the pre-pregnancy period. The average Body Mass Index (BMI) of obese women increases during pregnancy and may possibly stay on at a higher point in the postnatal period.
- Unless the postnatal obesity is due to some genetic disorder, you may be able to find some reliable methods of achieving sustained weight loss. Gynecologists suggest that, the common reasons behind weight gain in the postnatal time period include physical inactivity, high stress levels, eating disorders, hormonal imbalance and some other commonly-known factors that may hinder weight loss.
- Another possible reason behind postnatal weight gain could be ethnicity, and it may require appropriate medical attention. Many studies have been carried out in this regard, wherein the subjects were split into two sample sections, in order to better understand the impact of ethnicity on postnatal weight gain. One set of variables was studied based on factors such as BMI, average body height, waist and hip circumference etc. The other was studied based on aspects such as ethnicity of the parents, mental health factors (probably from the childhood) and lifestyle (eating habits, addictive behaviors, physical activity etc.).
Weight Gain after Cesarean Delivery
According to studies, obese women who gave birth through cesarean section are more vulnerable to weight retention in the postnatal time period than those who delivered naturally.
It has been found that in some cases their BMI may increase too. Although the exact causes behind this haven’t been determined yet, some of the probable ones could be:
- Usage of uterine incisions that are known to possibly increase the chances of morbid obesity.
- Fluid retention in the body post cesarean delivery.
- Continued trauma, stress and stagnation.
The analytical results of the tests carried out to figure out the possible causes of postnatal weight retention or continued weight gain were found to be more accurate with respect to the generic considerations and least accurate with respect to the ethnicity factors.
Regardless, the conclusions were mainly categorized into the inherited factors and the acquired factors.
As mentioned above, since the inherited factors such as heredity and ethnicity were found to be out of scope, we focused on the acquired factors for suggesting the postnatal weight loss methods here in this write-up.
According to medical experts, the probable postnatal weight loss methods used by women who give birth naturally may be slightly different compared to the ones who undergo cesarean delivery.
The following section focuses on the generic weight loss methods that may work in both the cases.
Probable Postnatal Weight Loss Methods
- Diet – Consumption of foods that have antioxidant properties and fat free diet.
- Exercise – Regular walking and regular exercises such as knee bending, standing thigh stretches and standing thigh presses are some recommended simple methods that may help in consistent fat burning without causing any major stress. Physical workouts combined with the right diets can lead to uniform distribution of muscle mass throughout the body, which in turn may aid further weight loss.
- Breast feeding – Breast feeding is believed to be one of the most recommended methods for shedding pregnancy weight during the postnatal time period. As per health experts, the process of lactation helps in gradual weight loss among the new mothers. However, women who don’t breastfeed their infants, by choice or because of some medical reasons, can opt for some natural supplemental aids that can help them get rid of pregnancy weight. But, as mentioned earlier, it’s very important to carry out some research before consuming any such weight loss supplement. There are many dangerous products available on the market that may often lead to harmful side effects. One such safe weight loss supplement that we recommend is known as PhenQ. The ingredients contained in this supplement can help in elimination of bad cholesterol from the body, normalization of blood glucose and blood pressure, as well as in generation of collagen, which can be instrumental for skin tightening.
Dietary Precautions during the Postnatal Time Period
- Dietitians suggest that new mothers should get frequently tested for keeping a check on their blood sugar levels during the postnatal time period. Doing so can help in determining if they need to make any appropriate dietary changes or not.
- Changes in diet may be recommended in case there is no decrease in the abnormal BMI levels after childbirth. In that case, the doctor may need to conduct a comparative analysis of the mother’s diet before pregnancy and understand its impact on weight retention or continued weight gain in the postnatal time period.
The general recommendation of health experts is to wait at least 2 to 3 months after the childbirth before taking up any weight loss program.
This is primarily because a woman may require at least that much recovery time after childbirth. It is all the more important for women who’ve given birth through cesarean surgery.
Diet and Workout Plan
Month 1 & 2
As mentioned above, there might be no need to jump into a weight loss program right away.
Nevertheless, you can make a healthy beginning by gradually switching over to fat-free foods that continue to provide you with high levels of nutrition as well.
Brown rice and whole grains are recommended for kick-starting the fat burning process and aiding the conversion of fats into energy.
Adding some tomatoes, lemon juice, cherry, celery sticks and salt to cooked rice can deliver the right amount of nutrients too.
As mentioned earlier, medical experts believe that active breastfeeding during this time can help in streamlining the fat burning process.
Breastfeeding is all the more recommended because it’s the best way to supply your little one with the required energy and nutrients.
Diet after Month 3
- Corn tortillas come highly recommended for postnatal weight loss! They consist of calcium hydroxide that extracts the niacin content during the cooking process. These tortillas contain high volumes of fiber as well and don’t really add up a lot of calories to your daily diet chart. You can use corn tortillas for suppressing any fat cravings too! What more, they’re excellent sources of fluids and water, which are essential for fat burning.
- Baked fish is another food item you can consider as it is free from all kinds of saturated fats. The volume of unsaturated fatty acids like α-linoleic and docosahexaenoic acid present in fish might be helpful in burning deep rooted fat in your thighs, posterior and hip areas. Some of the healthy ingredients you can use while baking fish are ginger, garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes and spinach.
- How about some low-fat turkey?! You can cook low-fat turkey with onions and sweet potatoes. This dish will not only appeal to your taste buds but will also deliver weight loss benefits. The turkey breast meat consists of vitamin B6, sodium, selenium and proteins, all of which are recommended during this stage . Furthermore, there are zero saturated fats in this food item, and optimum levels of calories and proteins.
- Lean meat is another recommended food option you can consider. You can pick up some already existing recipe or create your own using lean meat, onion, garlic and green leafy vegetables. Please note, it’s always better to cook lean meat than frying as frying adds extra unwanted amounts of cholesterol and fat to the meat.
Workout after Month 3
- Walking is easily the simplest and most effective exercise you can do at this post-pregnancy stage. Perhaps you can start with a couple of rounds in the garden and then extend them to early morning long-distance walks. Brisk walking is known to be helpful in reducing the fat deposits in the interior and exterior thigh regions.
- Pelvic floor exercises are the other set of workouts recommended for fat removal from the lower hip region, as well as from the internal organs such as vagina, bladder, uterus and the bowel. These exercises are recommended by the physiotherapy experts too, as they are meant to restore the spinal cord balance vis-à-vis the other organs.
- Swimming is another exercise that comes highly recommended for postnatal weight loss. However, please note, if you underwent a cesarean delivery you should start swimming only after consulting your gynecologist.
Recommended Post Natal Pelvic Floor Exercises
- Squeezing the anal muscle is one of the recommended exercises for increasing the strength of the vaginal, anus and urethra muscles. As per experts, you should do it for 2 to 3 seconds at a time and repeat it around 6 times a day.
- Tightening your abdominal muscles lying down flat on the bed can help you burn fat from the belly region. Simple exercises such as raising the pelvic from the floor, knee bending and head raise might be helpful in burning fat from the lower abdomen and thighs.
Recommended Aqua Aerobics
Aqua aerobics is also recommended for the postnatal weight loss. Gynecologists recommend the basic forms of aqua aerobics in the postnatal period as these exercises put more stress on the body.
Some of the exercises you could try are lateral raise, flutter kick, partial squats, horizontal fly, heel raise, arm curls, bicycle and side-to-side scissors.
Performing these exercises on a regular basis may help in shedding weight uniformly from all over the body.
At the same time, these exercises can help in strengthening of your muscles and internal organs such as pelvic floor muscles, sacrum, cervix, bowel, urethra, uterus and bladder that get weakened during the pregnancy and postnatal stages.
Recommended Yoga Exercises
- Tiger posture is believed to be helpful in weight loss, toning up of the shoulders and leg muscles and for relief from backache. It also helps in improving the basal metabolic rate of the body.
- Cobra posture on the other hand is a simple workout that aids weight loss from the chest and hip regions. You can do this exercise by lying down flat on your stomach, preferably on a yoga mat. Then, slowly raising the upper portion of your body with the help of hands placed under your shoulders. You must try keeping the remaining part of your body still and the legs straight while practicing this yoga posture. It’s the formation of an arc on your back (in this posture) that stimulates the weight loss process.
- Half spinal twist is another yoga posture that you can use for weight loss as well as for strengthening of your shoulders, abdomen and spinal muscles. However, this yoga exercises must be done only under the guidance and supervision of an expert, and after getting trained for it in the right manner.
- Some of the other recommended yoga postures for postnatal weight loss include leg cycling, raised leg posture, bow posture, locus posture and boat posture. All these postures are believed to be not only beneficial in terms of weight loss, but also for the strengthening of bones and muscles throughout the body. Yoga experts suggest you perform these postures on a regular basis in order to get the desired results from them.
Diet after Month 6
Your diet-plan 6 months after delivering a child should factor in many important aspects like the lean muscle mass, waist and hip circumference change percentage, weight loss percentage, body weight, body mass etc.
You may not need to make any changes to your diet and exercise plan which you followed from month 3 to month 6 if your weight loss percentage is within the expected range.
In the case you didn’t experience any major change during that time, you may need to alter your diet and exercise plan in consultation with your gynecologist and nutrition expert.
Thereafter, you would be required to monitor your progress each month and take the appropriate corrective and preventive actions in time.
Specific Diet for Cesarean Cases
- It may not smell so great but it can completely change the taste of savory dishes for better! We’re talking about garlic here! Not to forget, garlic is also considered one of the most important food items for weight loss after C-section! Its weight loss properties are due to the allicin found in it. Allicin comprises of elements such as allysulfenic acid, pyruvate, pyridoxal phosphate etc. all of which combined together deliver some effective fat burning agents, targeted at the lower-body fat deposits in the thighs, posterior and hips region. Pyridoxal phosphate is known to be especially effective in hip fat burning. Another reason you should be adding garlic to your food is its ability to kill bacteria and boost immunity against viral infections after a C-section.
- Canderel is a sugar substitute and natural sweetener that has fat burning properties. It’s recommended specifically in the post C-section time period owing to its ability to reduce high blood sugar and blood pressure levels at that time.
- Cabbage is one of the well-known antioxidant agents. Its regular consumption may help in reducing bad cholesterol and other toxic particles in the internal organs. It’s recommended that you eat it in the form of juice or soup, prepared with beet and tomatoes. Crush all the three vegetables in a blender and extract the juice. Add a few pieces of garlic, ginger and mint leaves. Squeeze some lemon juice into it to make it more interesting! This preparation should be taken during the early morning hours on an empty stomach.
- Vitamin C is another powerful weight loss ingredient, antioxidant and energy booster (in the muscles and internal organs). Broccoli is one of the vegetables that have high levels of vitamin C in them. Salads prepared from green leafy vegetables, cucumber, tomatoes and broccoli could be helpful in the restoration of healthy fluids in the body and in burning of fat.
- Water plays a key role in the overall fat burning and weight loss. According to health experts and nutritionists, you must drink water at regular intervals to facilitate easy transportation of wastes produced during the fat burning process. Some of the waste matters produced during this process include things like fatty acids, glycerol, carbon and waste fluids. The carbon gets eliminated through the lungs, while waste fluids are eliminated via kidneys. However, the concentration of any such waste fluid must be diluted accordingly before it can find its way out through the kidneys. That job is done by the water! So, drink up that H2O!
- Consumption of fiber-based food foods is known to be helpful for healing the internal wounds caused by C-section. These foods also help to reduce cravings for fatty foods.
- Citrus-based fruits like orange and lemon are highly recommended as they can break down the oil and cholesterol contained in the food we consume. Nutritionists also recommend them for constipation relief.
Specific Exercises for Cesarean Cases
Any good postnatal weight loss program should comprise of short-duration workouts as they work pretty well without putting any major stress on the body and mind.
You may perform these exercises twice a day, once in the early morning and then anytime late evening, to get the desired results.
It’s your ability to do these exercises, with the consumption of the recommended diet, on a regular basis, that will determine if you will succeed in shedding your pregnancy weight successfully or not.
Following such a routine would minimize the risk of any side-effects too.
What more, your muscles and skin may also get toned-up in the process. On the whole, you may get to enjoy optimum levels of muscle mass and BMI in the long term.
- Cardio workouts are known to be pretty effective in fat burning, especially with regards to fat deposits in the internal organs such as intestines, stomach and liver. Cardio also helps to eliminate cholesterol from the blood vessels.
- Stroller walk is one of the recommended cardio workouts for weight loss after a C-section. But the effectiveness of this exercise may depend entirely on the weight of the stroller you’re using to carry your baby. Experts suggest you opt for a medium to heavy weight stroller and walk every day on moderately steep paths.
- Step climbing is another type of cardio workout that may prove to be helpful in burning fat from the interior and exterior tights. You can indulge in some step climbing whenever you go to office, shopping malls or other locations where you may be able to use stairs for reaching the middle or upper floors of the building. However, please take care that you don’t put any unwanted stress on your body. Climb only as many stairs as you may be able to manage comfortably. Don’t refrain from using the elevator if you notice any visible signs of stress. Also, please don’t forget to consume ample amounts of water after any such work out. Water consumption would allow your body to return back to its normal condition. In case you can’t find any such steps to climb, use the step climbing machine in your gymnasium, or if you can afford, buy one for your home.
- Elliptical trainer may be helpful in burning off fat deposits in your shoulders, chest and upper body. It’s recommended to use this machine for short durations, as suggested by your fitness trainer or doctor.
- Rowing (preferably using a rowing machine) is one such exercise that can be instrumental in shedding overall body weight. But make sure that you consult your doctor in case your body mass index (BMI) is higher than 30 and you regularly face difficulties during your workout routines. Your doctor may put you on simpler versions of the exercises detailed above. You may be allowed to use a rowing machine only after you bring down your BMI to acceptable levels.
How to Lose Weight after 40
Before delving into how to lose weight after 40, it’s essential to first learn about some of the most common causes of fat deposition, weight gain and obesity after 40.
It’s also important to know the differences between weight gain due to muscle mass, bone mass and fat deposition.
While the first two causes of weight gain are out of the scope of this article, the third one is what we’ll focus on.
Let’s start by learning about the hormones that play a crucial role in weight gain post 40.
The three main endocrine glands that release hormones in a woman’s body are the breasts, ovaries and the placenta.
While the breasts release estrogen, the placenta releases the human chorionic gonadotropin; and the ovaries are responsible for the release of progesterone, testosterone, estriol, estradiol and the estrone.
Some of the other important hormones released in a woman’s body are glucagon, insulin, triiodothyronine, GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone), thyroxine, FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LH (luteinising hormone) and ADH (antidiuretic hormone).
Every hormone performs a unique function and may undergo some natural changes after the age of 40.
Although you may not feel any such change explicitly, you’re sure to experience its effects gradually over a period of time.
Probable Causes of Weight Gain after 40
- Loss of muscle tissue may lead to weight gain. You may not experience any health issues if this weight gain is within the normal levels. However, any abnormal increase in your BMI and fat deposition in the abdomen and hip areas may lead to obesity.
- Menopause could be another prominent reason behind weight gain at this stage of life. Medical experts believe that it could also lead to mental and physical lethargy, both of which are associated with fat accumulation. Women have a tendency of putting more weight around their thighs, posterior and hips. Sometimes the impact of fat deposition may also extend to shoulders, under arms, chest and the subcutaneous layers of the skin.
- Hypothyroid conditions may also lead to excessive weight gain and obesity in women over 40.
- Type I and type II diabetes could also be responsible for fat deposition and increased chances of obesity among women in this age bracket.
- Low progesterone hormone production in the body is another cause of weight-gain among women who’re over 40. This can lead to water retention in the internal organs and muscles, causing bloating. Although this may not increase the body weight abnormally, it can definitely make you look obese.
- There are a number of other reasons behind obesity post 40, such as lower physical activity, hormonal changes, medications, diabetes, compulsive eating, post-operative conditions In most cases, the key hormone responsible for obesity is estrogen. The production of estrogen in the ovaries decreases gradually once a woman reaches this stage of life. Things may not go out of hand as long as the estrogen production is within the normal range. Once it goes below a certain level, it can directly cause an increase in insulin and cortisol levels in the body. Both of these contribute to fat deposition, especially in the midsection. Decreased estrogen levels also cause food cravings in women. According to dieticians, these cravings may be pretty intense for fatty food items such as sweets, dairy products, red meat etc.
Probable Weight Loss Methods after 40
If the reason behind your obesity or excessive weight gain is any of the ones listed above, you should be prepared (mentally and physically) to take some important steps to bring it down.
However, please be aware that the speed of weight loss once you cross this age may be less rapid compared to when you were younger.
You will require ample amounts of patience, time and effort to make it happen.
As per the scope of this article, we’re going to discuss how you can lose weight at this stage by making dietary changes and doing physical exercises.
Please note, you may need to consider your present health condition and consult with an expert, before making any drastic dietary changes and starting any stringent workout routine.
Weight Loss by Reducing Muscle Tissue Loss
Sarcopenia is the the process wherein you start losing muscle mass as a direct effect of aging. (And that’s got nothing to do with sarcasm!!)
Some women may start experiencing this at the age of 40, while others may not notice it until after they cross 50 or 60. It is often accompanied by an imbalance in the sex hormones, lower mobility, lower serum levels etc.
Diet for Sarcopenia
The suggested food items include roasted soya beans, pumpkin seeds, cooked beans, tuna fish, skinless low-fat poultry and low-fat cheese.
Please note, it is advisable to cook these foods instead of frying, in order to steer clear of any added fats.
Recommended dietary supplements that can possibly delay Sarcopenia are protein supplements, amino acids and leucine supplements.
Physical Workouts for Sarcopenia
You may need to keep yourself busy with physical activities such as brisk walking, moderate levels of aerobics and resistance exercises.
Weight Loss through Estrogen Balancing
- Estrogen balancing diet normally consists of food items that are rich in vitamin B12, vitamin B6, zinc, low-fat carbohydrates, fenugreek etc. You may get these by eating green leafy vegetables, carrots, sweet potatoes, fatless chicken, whole grains, beets, egg whites, red potatoes, fatless turkey, lean beef, apple, strawberries, banana etc.
- There are no specific exercises for balancing the estrogen levels in the body. However, performing moderate levels of aerobic exercises may help in this regard, over the long term. Some other exercises you can do in this regard are cardio exercises, anaerobic exercises such as sprinting Actually, combining sprinting and walking is considered one of the best ways of reducing stress. Furthermore, following a recommended diet plan along with these exercises can help you normalize your body’s estrogen levels over a period of time. However, don’t forget to take your physician into confidence before starting any such exercise routine and/or diet plan.
Weight Loss through Progesterone Balance
- You can rebalance the progesterone levels in your body by regularly consuming foods that consist of L-Arginine, magnesium, zinc, vitamin C and vitamin B6. Some of these foods are mackerel fish, broccoli, turkey, peanuts, olive oil, lean beef, trout fish, tuna fish, kale, brown rice and spinach. Staying hydrated at all the times is also one of the ways of rebalancing the progesterone levels, and keeping edema at bay.
- Exercises targeted at progesterone balancing help with the removal of waste water from the internal organs and muscles. According to fitness experts, yoga exercises can be very effective in this regard.
- Some of the yoga postures you can practice for progesterone balancing include sun salutation, chakrasana, halasana, mountain pose and taadasana. The last one in specific facilitates free flow of blood through muscle stretching. Practicing these yoga postures along with an optimum diet (as detailed above) may help you drain out any excess water from your muscles. As a result, the muscles may start losing any waste water deposits and get toned in the process. The sun salutation posture may help you improve the flexibility of your body as well.
Weight Loss during Menopause
- Some of the recommended foods for weight loss during menopause are unsaturated fats, semi skimmed milk, grilled foods, avocado, oily fish like sardines, mackerel, herrings and salmon, fresh fruits, oats, lentils, beans and yogurt etc.
- Exercises for getting rid of menopause-weight would include sprinting, brisk walking, strength training and cardio routines. Swimming and biking may also help burn fat deposits from all over the body, gradually over a period of time. You may also use weightlifting machines, free weights or dumbbells to perform these exercises. However, it’s important to stay consistent with these workout routines for the prescribed duration. You can consult your doctor or fitness trainer to work out the appropriate duration for you.
Weight Loss after Hypothyroid Disorder
You can get rid of any excess body weight gained as a result of hypothyroid disorder by following the right exercise routines and consuming the right diet.
It’s important to follow your doctor’s directions in this regard as consuming too much or too less of something may lead to negative results.
- Iodine is one of the vital nutrients that is required for balancing the thyroid gland. Fish, cereals, fat free dairy products (fat free cottage cheese, skimmed milk etc.) and whole grains are some of the natural sources of iodine.
- Vitamin D rich foods such as skimmed milk, mushrooms, eggs and fatty fish may prove to be helpful in hypothyroid condition.
- Foods rich in selenium like beef liver, sardines, halibut, fatless chicken, turkey and yellow tuna may help restore the levels of this important nutrient in your body. Selenium is considered very important for restoring the normal functioning of the thyroid glands.
- Goitrogen plays a vital role in the synthesis of the thyroid hormone. So, consuming foods that contain goitrogen may help your body synthesize the right quantities of this hormone. As a result, it may indirectly prevent any additional weight gain. Cooked crucifers and soy are two good sources of goitrogen.
- Yoga exercises are the most recommended for weight loss after as well as during hypothyroid problem. Among various yoga postures, it is the shoulder stand posture that can effectively tackle hypothyroid symptoms and aid weight loss. It’s also beneficial in eliminating neck pain and toning-up the shoulders and neck muscles. This yoga exercise may also help improve your BMR and cardiovascular activities.
- Another yoga posture known as the inverted posture is recommended for overall body weight loss. It can be practiced lying down flat on your stomach on a yoga mat. Once you are in that position, slowly raise the upper portion of your body with the help of your hands placed under your shoulders. Ensure that your toes touch the floor behind your head. The idea is to form a semicircle on your back, which helps with weight loss.
- Plough pose is a yoga posture that is again targeted at weight loss and helps strengthen the spinal cord and neck too.
Weight Loss for Women with Diabetes (Types 1 & 2)
Gaining control over your diabetic conditions should should be your first priority before starting any weight loss program.
You may need to consult a qualified diabetes expert for this. Let’s now go over the foods you can eat and the exercises you can do to lose weight despite being diabetic.
- Consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids like nuts, olive oil and fish may help in breaking down fat cells. This process is beneficial in two different ways – first, it would lead to a leaner body; and second, it would provide additional energy through glucose and fat burning. Breaking down the fat cells also helps in collagen production, which may be helpful in skin tightening and toning up of the muscles. However, this process is time-consuming and may require dedicated efforts in the form of regular exercise. Brisk walking and light jogging are the recommended basic exercises for this.
- Diabetics should ideally eat soluble and insoluble fibrous foods. Legumes, barley and oats are some of the recommended soluble fibers. Insoluble fiber like wheat may help in alleviating health problems like congestion, constipation etc. Regular consumption of soluble fiber specifically helps in keeping type II diabetes under check, while assisting in weight loss. Mixing just one spoon of wheat bran into your food every day may provide you with the right amount of fiber your body needs. Any fiber-induced gas can be taken care of by adding pepper and garlic to your diet.
- Being diabetic, you should be extra careful with regard to injuries during your exercise routines. Moderate exercises such as jogging and walking can help improve your cardiovascular functions, while also keeping your blood sugar levels in check. Performing these exercises on a daily basis may allow you to lower your cholesterol levels and control your stress level too. Not to forget, you’ll also lose weight in the process! Please note, the focus here is on losing the fat induced weight and improving the healthy muscle mass.
- Performing knee and leg stretches may help you burn fats in your thighs, thereby restoring flexibility to that particular area of your body. Lie down flat on your back, on a yoga mat. Slowly raise your legs, keeping them joined together. Try reaching as high as you can comfortably. Thereafter, gradually bring back your legs back to their starting position. Repeat this exercise at least 3 to 4 times, and try lifting up your hips as well, holding them still in a comfortable position for a few seconds, before resting them back on the yoga mat. This exercise can be very effective, despite looking simple.
- Performing resistance exercises against gravity, some immovable object or a specific amount of weight is also recommended for weight loss for diabetics. You can do these exercises with the dumbbells or free weights. Squats with dumbbells in both your hands may help you target the fat deposits in the abdomen and hip region. You may even practice resistance training by standing straight near a wall and then pushing it with both your hands. It can help in targeting the fats in your shoulders, arms and chest.
- Jogging on a treadmill and the use of a rowing machine may help bring your body back to an overall good shape as you’d burn fat from all over your body.
You may also need to add a safe and well-known weight loss supplement such as PhenQ to your regimen to help catalyze the weight loss process.
In case you’re uncomfortable with the idea of popping in pills, you could seek help of some safe weight loss patches or weight loss teas.
Whatever you choose, please do take your doctor into confidence before starting its usage.
How to Lose Weight after 50 and 60
Being in control of your body weight when you are 50+ or 60+ is very important for your overall wellness.
You must ensure that your body mass index (BMI) stays normal. Get tested for hypertension, cardiovascular health, bone strength and blood sugar levels on a regular basis.
Tackling Post-50/60 Obesity if You Have no other Problems
If obesity is the only problem you are facing and your body is completely free from any other health problems, you may see good weight loss results with a diet program.
- Your breakfast menu should comprise of some raw or cooked green vegetables. You may also opt for salads, juices (goose berry, carrot and beet) or fillings with bread toast. It’s recommended to consume these foods 30 minutes prior to your morning workout. You may start with a brisk walk for a few minutes, followed by a few minutes of gentle jogging, and then running for the next 20-50 seconds. You’ll soon find those seconds extending to few minutes, and then few minutes extending to more minutes!
- Your lunch should be made up of lean turkey, fatless chicken, lean meat with some carrots cabbage and broccoli, or any other green leafy vegetables of your choice. Having one glass of orange or lemon juice with aloe vera and mint leaves could be a refreshing addition for a beverage. A brief 5 to 6 minutes’ walk is recommended after lunch as it may help you stay active and flexible for the remaining part of the day.
- Please note, you may also opt for fibrous foods like beans, beet, capsicum or cabbage with tuna fish, pepper, garlic, ginger or onions fried in olive oil. Not only do these foods taste great, they also help with fat burning! Feel free to replace the tuna fish with turkey, pasta, whole grain bread or any zero fat ingredient/food.
Tackling Post-50/60 Obesity if You have Diabetes
In case you’re obese and have diabetes, you may need to focus on polyunsaturated fatty acids such as nuts, fish and olive oil for your weight loss diet.
Performing regular exercises such as jogging and brisk walking may help you in breaking down the stored fat deposits.
Adding some other workout routines like jogging on a treadmill, cycling and workout with lightweight dumbbells, for a few minutes each day, may help you boost your health and physical fitness further.
However, please don’t forget to regularly check your blood sugar levels.
Regular consultations with a qualified diabetes expert may be required for keeping your glucose levels in constant check.
- Whole grain bread with avocados, egg white, pepper, tangerine and a few pieces of garlic may make for a healthy toast for breakfast. You could complete your morning meal by gobbling down a cup of pomegranate juice! This diet can be periodically changed to include vegetable salad and cucumber juice, vegetables with brown rice and some other fat and glucose free combinations.
- For lunch you could have vegetable soup with brown rice, salmon with vegetables or fat free chicken and broccoli.
- Lentil salad with apple and carrots, fat free meet with plenty of green leafy vegetables, mushrooms with avocados or other similar combinations are recommended for dinner.
Tackling Post-50/60 Obesity if You have Hypertension
Hypertension can occur due to the hormone fluctuations or other health factors. Anxiety, stress, diabetes, decreased estrogen levels and menopause could also be probable causes.
It’s highly recommended that you consult your doctor before taking up any weight loss plan.Before taking up the diet plan and take necessary measures to keep your hypertension under control.
Some other pieces of advice you should pay heed to are:
- Make sure that you have healthy sleep cycles each day.
- Check your insulin levels to keep diabetes in check.
- You may need to get your hormone levels tested for healthy ratio of estrogen and androgen.
- Check your BMI to confirm that it indeed is a case of obesity. You must start with a weight loss diet program once you’re through with these tests. Apart from following a diet and workout program, you may need a doctor’s help if you’ve any problems with your hormone and/or insulin levels.
- Vegetables (cooked or raw) should ideally make up the bulk of your diet. You may opt for carrots, cucumber, avocados, broccoli, cabbage, onions, sweet potatoes, beet and dark green vegetables. Feel free to add some fat-free dairy products, finger millet, pasta and whole grain bread to your diet. Some other items that may be included are fat-free turkey, lean meat and salmon fish.
- Early morning long-distance walks are highly recommended. You may even participate in sports like badminton, basketball and tennis to help with the weight reduction process while keeping your blood pressure in check.
- Simple yoga postures such as vajrasana, lotus posture and pranayama may help in relieving stress. Although meditation may not help directly in weight loss, it can be highly useful in tackling psychological stress.
In pursuing weight loss post-50/60, you may also seek help of a SAFE weight loss supplement such as PhenQ to help with the weight loss process.
If you’re uncomfortable with the idea of taking pills, you could opt for a weight loss patch or slimming teas. Whatever you choose, please do take your doctor into confidence before starting its usage.
Losing Weight after Gallbladder Removal
- For starters, please know that YOU can live a healthy life even without a gallbladder in your body, as long as you follow some simple guidelines. Secondly, although your weight loss may be gradual, the expected results would indeed be visible over a period of time. It’s recommended that you don’t give in to the urge of losing weight fast.
- Some of the recommended foods for weight loss after gallbladder removal are lean meat, vegetables, fat-free poultry, low-fat dairy products, pasta, beans and whole grains. You’d be better off avoiding sugar and salt to keep hypertension at bay. It would be best to consult your doctor regarding the exact quantities of the foods you need to consume. This is very important because your digestion rate may have gone down after the gallbladder removal.
- The physical exercises you may indulge in include walking and jogging. You may even participate in tennis, basketball and other family sports. However, please do consult your doctor before starting any strength training, resistance training and/or other exercises.
Best Weight Loss Supplements for Women Comparison Table
Detailed research, analysis and interpretation of various aspects of weight loss in women reveal certain facts that cannot be ignored. It can be inferred that the physiology of women is such that they may be naturally conditioned to oppose easy weight loss. This holds true if we look at the long-term fat deposits in the hips, posterior and thighs region in women.
This is attributed to their natural endowment of protecting and caring for the baby in the womb during pregnancy.
Therefore, any woman trying to burn fat from these body parts may need to be particularly careful in order to avoid any potential negative side effects on their body.
The hormonal imbalances during the postnatal time period, menstrual cycles and menopause may also make the weight loss process more difficult.
However, you can effectively lose weight in all such cases by meticulously following the right regimen – diet, exercise and SAFE weight loss supplements.